Epic Engineered Hardwood
Engineered hardwood is the fastest-growing segment of the hardwood market. Our company is proud to offer one of the premier engineered hardwood collections available—Epic from Shaw Floors.
What’s so great about Epic? It’s a premium product that provides advanced visual, technological, installation, and long-term performance solutions over conventional solid and engineered hardwood flooring products. It comes in a vast array of sizes, species, surface textures, and price points. Epic can go where other hardwoods can’t—over concrete, in basements—which isn’t possible with ¾” solid products. Any installation method can be used, and no acclimation is needed.
Compared to others, Epic is harder, denser, and greener than comparable floors.
Because of the hardness of Epic’s center core, EnviroCore(R), Epic performs substantially better than ¾” solid and comparable ½”-thick engineered products with softer cores
- Oak—133% of the hardness of solid oak, 125% of the hardness of ½” engineered oak
- Hickory—120% of the hardness of solid hickory, 136% of the hardness of ½” engineered hickory
- Maple—141% of the hardness of solid maple, 139% of the hardness of ½” engineered maple
- Cherry—190% of the hardness of solid cherry, 195% of the hardness of ½” engineered cherry
- Walnut—202% of the hardness of solid walnut, 159% of the hardness of ½” engineered walnut
Epic’s 3/8” EnviroCore is denser than ¾” solid oak and all engineered products with softer plywood cores. The result is better overall performance and stability but in a more environmentally responsible thickness. More “solid” wood fiber per cubic inch than thicker ½” engineered and even ¾” solid oak!
Comparisons to Epic
- ½” Brazilian Cherry = 28% less dense
- ½” Oak = 29% less dense
- Solid Oak = 40% less dense
- 9/16” Maple = 44% less dense
- Epic’s EnviroCore is now Third Party Certified to comply with the US Environmental Protection Agency’s guidelines for Environmentally Preferable Products.
- EPP Certification requires that products must be made from 100% recycled and/or recovered fiber and meet the CARB requirements for formaldehyde emissions.
- This is the first EPP certification program accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), and it is also accredited by the Standards Council of Canada (SCC).
- The verification for additional LEED credits is underway.
Some other Epic facts:
- Comes in premium oak, maple, hickory, cherry, and walnut species
- Available in two widths and three ultra-premium finishes that provide maximum wear resistance for lasting beauty
- Lifetime Wear Warranty
- Qualifies for LEED for home
- Made in the USA
- Featured in the HGTV Green Home for 2008 and 2009
2 Trees Minus 1 Tree Equals Epic
Epic uses fewer resources, thanks to EnviroCore, which is made from every part of the tree that would otherwise have been burned or sent to the landfill. 3/8” Epic uses 50% fewer trees—that is, for every two trees used to make 3/8”-thick conventionally engineered hardwood flooring, it only takes one tree to make the same amount of Epic 3/8”-thick hardwood flooring.
Check out the many benefits of EnviroCore—Shaw’s dense inner core made of recycled wood by-products:
- Greatly improved moisture tolerance over traditional solid or engineered wood flooring which enables—the ability to install on, above or even below grade, which isn’t possible with ¾” solid products; the ability to install using a nail/staple, glue-down or floating installation method; zero acclimation in climate-controlled environments
- Ultra-straight boards and precision milling—enabling faster installation without having to pry bowed or warped boards into place; providing an advanced patent-pending tongue-and-groove system for easier glue-down installs with much less gapping and, ultimately, less mess
- Optimum product stability, greatly reducing seasonal expansion that often results in gapping